Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Monday, March 30, 2009
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Here is the "Play Room." I painted it a wonderful light bright blue. This is the left side of the room - this corner will be the computer/office area.
Here is my new sewing area, finally! It's hard to tell how big the room is from these pics, but it's large and will be plenty big for lots of work areas. This window lets in tons of light too which I love.
While I was painting Ron and Justin were busy building a shed, well, the foundation anyway! Here Justin has his measuring tape and is doing very important work for dad.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
I didn't get a pic of the other rooms we've painted: Justin's room, the dining room - which I just finished painting tonight, and the "play" room, (what will be the office and sewing room), but will get those soon. This will give you an idea of what the color scheme is. I love how the colors are turning out, and the new flooring looks fantastic! I can't wait to move our stuff in, decorate, and make this house a home. We move in about a week, so time is flying and there is still a lot to do. This week I will be painting, packing and sewing curtains so you may not hear from me for a while as we will be super busy and won't have Internet for a few days most likely. It's all coming together though, and I'm exhausted but excited at the same time! Here are a few pics of our progress thus far:
The living room with new floors, "Barley" colored walls, and Sarah enjoying our first ever new couch!
Justin was elated to help dad in the yard for the first time.
Sarah's room: Colors chosen by Sarah - "Lime Rickey" Green and "Desire Pink".
Our bed room painted with "Barley" - floors will be finished soon.
The "Reading Room" A cozy room with a view of the trees, painted a rich, rusty brown. This room is already a family favorite. It will have book cases and comfy places to sit and read for hours.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Ron patching holes in Sarah's room
Monday, March 9, 2009
Now I'm working on a hanging system for his Niger batik. It's a cute dark blue batik with giraffes and elephants on it. I made a casing for it yesterday and I have a wooden dowel I plan to put into the casing. I have a plan to buy some hemp and beads to make a cute hanger for it. I'll be sure to post a pic of that when I'm done. Next, curtains for his new room!
I recently told a friend that buying this house was like a birth. From the start the whole process was uncertain and seemed impossible. The home was a foreclosure, which means it was bank owned. The bank is down south in the LA area, so communication was difficult from the start. The market, as we know, is a tough one right now, and dealing with banks is even more challenging. When we put our bid in on the house, (the one and only bid), the bank responded immediately with a yes. However, as time progressed further contact proved to move at a snail's pace. One time it took us nearly 4 weeks to hear back from the bank. Labor had slowed to a screeching halt and it looked like we were headed for a C-Section. Then, miraculously the bank replied with another yes and things kept progressing.
The biggest road block we ran into was the fact that we were using a FHA loan, which requires certain health and safety standards. (Also which by the way only requires 3.5% down.) Foreclosures, (or REO's), are "as is" sales, meaning the bank sells the house as is and won't do any repairs. When the bank initially accepted our proposal they failed to notice that we were doing an FHA loan. The problem for them was that now they were in contract with us and since there were no other offers on the house - we were their best bet! I firmly believe God didn't allow them to see that we were doing an FHA loan. This house was for us, and nothing was going to stop that inevitability. An FHA appraiser had to come out to the house and assess the property. She found several major issues that needed repair and which added up to thousands of dollars. Our hearts sank and we worried that there was no way the bank would agree to fix these repairs. Our mortgage broker even told us that it probably wouldn't happen. Things slowed down yet again, and the bank wasn't talking. We had no idea if they would honor their agreement to sell us the house, which would include doing the needed repairs. Our mortgage broker told us that "This is a game of cat and mouse. Whoever backs down first looses." I told him firmly that we weren't backing down anytime soon - he doesn't know us very well!!
Then miraculously the bank signed the paper work and approved all of the structural repairs: Foundation work, plumbing, electrical and some other miscellaneous work. The total came to twelve thousand dollars. Once again God had come through for us. He provided an amazing contractor for us, one who was willing to comply with the bank's budget and get the work done on time.
One of the most amazing things about this house is the rock bottom price. The bank who owns the house is from Southern California, so they are unaware that we have an insulated market here. They priced the house way below current market value, at $175K. So we got the house for a super low price, considering the fact that it is nearly 2000 square feet. It was actually appraised at about 50K above the selling price! Then with the repairs added we got the house even cheaper. Also, the bank paid for 10K in closing costs, so if you deduct the closing costs and repairs we actually bought the house for around 155K!!
Now the cosmetic repairs are taking place. We're painting walls, ripping out old carpet and making the house livable. We finally get to bring the baby home!! It's been a long process, but now that the house is ours I can say it has been completely worth it! God has given us an amazing gift. One which we can share with our friends and family for years to come.